Oxidative inactivation of rhodanese by hydrogen peroxide produces states that show differential reactivation

P. M. Horowitz, S. Bowman

Resultado de la investigación: Articlerevisión exhaustiva

18 Citas (Scopus)


Controlled conditions have been found that give complete reactivation and long term stabilization of rhodanese (EC after oxidative inactivation by hydrogen peroxide. Inactivated rhodanese was completely reactived by reductants such as thioglycolic acid (TGA) (100 mM) and dithiothreitol (DTT) (100 mM) or the substrate thiosulfate (100 mM) if these reagents were added soon after inactivation. Reactivability fell in a biphasic first order process. At pH 7.5, in the presence of DTT inactive rhodanese lost 40% of its reactivability in less than 5 min, and the remaining 60% was lost more gradually (t( 1/2 ) = 3.5 h). TGA reactivated better than DTT, and the rapid phase was much less prominent. If excess reagents were removed by gel filtration immediately after inactivation, there was time-dependent and complete reactivability with TGA for at least 24 h, and the resulting samples were stable. Reactivable enzyme was resistant to proteolysis and had a fluorescence maximum at 335 nm, just as the native protein. Oxidized rhodanese, partially reactivated by DTT, was unstable and lost activity upon further incubation. This inactive enzyme was fully reactivated by 200 mM TGA. Also, the enzyme could be reactivated by arsenite and high concentrations of cyanide. Addition of hydrogen peroxide (40-fold molar excess) to inactive rhodanese after column chromatography initiated a time-dependent loss of reactivability. This inactivation was a single first order process (t( 1/2 ) = 25 min). Sulfhydryl titers showed that enzyme could be fully reactivated after the loss of either one or two sulfhydryl groups. Irreversibly inactivated enzyme showed the loss of one sulfhydryl group even after extensive reduction with TGA. The results are consistent with a two-stage oxidation of rhodanese. In the first stage there can form sulfenyl and/or disulfide derivative(s) at the active site sulfhydryl that are reducible by thioglycolate. A second stage could give alternate or additional oxidation states that are not easily reducible by reagents tried to date.

Idioma originalEnglish (US)
Páginas (desde-hasta)3311-3316
Número de páginas6
PublicaciónJournal of Biological Chemistry
EstadoPublished - 1989
Publicado de forma externa

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Molecular Biology
  • Cell Biology


Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'Oxidative inactivation of rhodanese by hydrogen peroxide produces states that show differential reactivation'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto