Evolving surgical treatment decisions for male breast cancer: an analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) database

Maryam Elmi, Sangita Sequeira, Arash Azin, Ahmad Elnahas, David R. McCready, Tulin D. Cil

Resultado de la investigación: Articlerevisión exhaustiva

8 Citas (Scopus)


Background: Male breast cancer (MBC) is a rare malignancy, and gender-specific treatment outcomes are currently lacking. The use of a large, multi-national surgical-outcomes database may provide a better understanding of treatment patterns and postoperative morbidity in men who undergo oncological breast surgery. Methods: A retrospective cohort analysis was conducted between 2007 and 2016 using the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database (NSQIP), examining MBC treatment patterns and postoperative complication rates. All men undergoing surgery for the treatment of invasive or in situ carcinoma of the breast were identified. Clinical characteristics, demographics, and surgical treatment options most frequently used for this population were described. In addition, the 30-day postoperative complication rates in the surgical treatment of male breast cancer were evaluated. Results: A total of 1773 MBC patients with a median age of 65 years (IQR 56–74 years) were included in this analysis. Mean body mass index (BMI) was 29.1 (IQR 25.4–33.8). In this study population, 177 (10.0%) had a diagnosis of in situ breast cancer, while the remaining 1596 (90.0%) had invasive disease. While most men underwent mastectomy, 282 (15.9%) had breast-conserving surgery. There were 74 (4.2%) patients who underwent immediate breast reconstruction. In addition, 118 (6.7%) patients elected to have a contralateral prophylactic mastectomy. Overall, the rate of morbidity was 4.6%, comprising mostly of wound complications (3.2%). Conclusion: Analysis of this large, prospective multi-institutional cohort revealed that complication rates are low and comparable to reported rates in the female breast cancer population. What is also significant about this analysis is that the cohort demonstrated the importance of cosmetic considerations in MBC patients, as some men decide to undergo breast-conserving surgery or immediate breast reconstruction. Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy in the treatment of MBC is also performed.

Idioma originalEnglish (US)
Páginas (desde-hasta)427-434
Número de páginas8
PublicaciónBreast Cancer Research and Treatment
EstadoPublished - sept. 1 2018

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research


Profundice en los temas de investigación de 'Evolving surgical treatment decisions for male breast cancer: an analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) database'. En conjunto forman una huella única.

Citar esto