The secondary structures of two phosphoproteins from chicken bone matrix of Mr ≈15kDa and ≈28kDa, rich in Asx, Glx, and Ser, and containing Ser(P) and Thr(P) residues, have been investigated in solution by Circular Dichroism (CD) and Fourier Transform-Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR). CD spectroscopy, which yields useful information on the backbone conformation of polypeptides and proteins, suggests a predominantly β-sheet structure for the two phosphoproteins. The FT-IR spectra of the ≈15kDa protein, which is sensitive to secondary structure and hence provides complimentary information to CD spectroscopy, are consistent with the results obtained by CD studies.
- CD studies of bone phosphoproteins
- Extended β-sheet structure for bone phosphoproteins
- FT-IR studies of bone phosphoproteins
- Secondary structure of bone phospho-proteins
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Orthopedics and Sports Medicine