Nephrology nurses' perceptions of barriers and facilitators to using research in practice.

S. L. Lewis, B. F. Prowant, C. L. Cooper, P. N. Bonner

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    16 Scopus citations

    Abstract

    OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to determine nephrology nurses' perceptions of barriers to research utilization and to identify effective ways to facilitate integration of research findings in nephrology nurses' practice. DESIGN: This was an explorative, descriptive study. SAMPLE/SETTING: Four hundred ninety-eight nephrology nurses participated in the study. The primary areas of clinical practice were hemodialysis (36%), peritoneal dialysis (29%), transplantation (15%), pediatric nephrology (3%), or various combinations (18%). METHODS: Participants completed a demographic data form and the previously validated instrument, Barriers and Facilitators to Using Research in Practice. Descriptive statistics were used to analyze the data. RESULTS: The majority of respondents (52%) were staff nurses. The other respondents included 30% in management, 12% in advanced practice roles, and 6% in education. The barriers to research utilization most frequently identified were insufficient time on the job to implement new ideas and not enough time to read research. The most effective facilitators identified were increased administrative support and encouragement, increased time available for reviewing and implementing research findings, and improved understandability of research reports. CONCLUSIONS: Additional nursing and nonnursing administrative support for research activities and designated time to read research and implement research-based clinical practices may facilitate the development of research-based nephrology nursing practice.

    Original languageEnglish (US)
    Pages (from-to)397-405; discussion 406
    JournalANNA journal / American Nephrology Nurses' Association
    Volume25
    Issue number4
    StatePublished - Aug 1998

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Medicine(all)

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Nephrology nurses' perceptions of barriers and facilitators to using research in practice.'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this