Nasolacrimal duct obstruction treated nonsurgically with use of plastic stents

Ho Young Song, Yong Han Jin, Jae Ho Kim, Kyu Bo Sung, Young Min Han, Nam Chun Cho

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

57 Scopus citations

Abstract

PURPOSE: To evaluate the clinical utility of plastic stents in treatment of complete obstruction of the nasolacrimal duct. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Nineteen plastic stents were successfully placed under fluoroscopic guidance in 16 consecutive patients with epiphora due to complete obstruction of the nasolacrimal duct. After balloon dilation of the obstructed area, the stents were placed in the lacrimal system with the head portion lying in the dilated lacrimal sac and the body in the nasolacrimal duct and projecting into the inferior meatus of the nasal cavity. RESULTS: Complete resolution of epiphora was accomplished in 15 (79%) of 19 eyes and partial resolution in the remaining four (21%) eyes. CONCLUSION: These preliminary results with use of plastic nasolacrimal stents are encouraging.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)535-539
Number of pages5
JournalRadiology
Volume190
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1994
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Lacrimal gland and duct
  • Stents and prostheses

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Nasolacrimal duct obstruction treated nonsurgically with use of plastic stents'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this