Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: The San Antonio Family Heart Study

Braxton D. Mitchell, Candace M. Kammerer, John Blangero, Michael C. Mahaney, David L. Rainwater, Bennett Dyke, James E. Hixson, Richard D. Henkel, R. Mark Sharp, Anthony G. Comuzzie, John L. Vandeberg, Michael P. Stern, Jean W. MacCluer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

296 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: The familial aggregation of coronary heart disease can be in large part accounted for by a clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors. To elucidate the determinants of cardiovascular disease, many epidemiological studies have focused on the behavioral and lifestyle determinants of these risk factors, whereas others have examined whether specific candidate genes influence quantitative variation in these phenotypes. Methods and Results: Among Mexican Americans from San Antonio (Tex), we quantified the relative contributions of both genetic and environmental influences to a large panel of cardiovascular risk factors, including serum levels of lipids, lipoproteins, glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Members of 42 extended families were studied, including 1236 first-, second-, and third-degree relatives of randomly ascertained probands and their spouses. In addition to the phenotypic assessments, information was obtained regarding usual dietary and physical activity patterns, medication use, smoking habits, alcohol consumption, and other lifestyle behaviors and medical factors. Maximum likelihood methods were used to partition the variance of each phenotype into components attributable to the measured covariates, additive genetic effects (heritability), household effects, and an unmeasured environmental residual. For the lipid and lipoprotein phenotypes, age, gender, and other environmental covariates accounted in general for <15% of the total phenotypic variance, whereas genes accounted for 30% to 45% of the phenotypic variation. Similarly, genes accounted for 15% to 30% of the phenotypic variation in measures of glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Conclusions: These results highlight the importance of considering genetic factors in studies of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2159-2170
Number of pages12
JournalCirculation
Volume94
Issue number9
StatePublished - 1996
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Cardiovascular Diseases
Adiposity
Phenotype
Lipoproteins
Life Style
Hormones
Genes
Blood Pressure
Lipids
Glucose
Spouses
Alcohol Drinking
Habits
Coronary Disease
Cluster Analysis
Epidemiologic Studies
Smoking
Exercise
Serum

Keywords

  • epidemiology
  • genetics
  • lifestyle
  • lipoproteins
  • risk factors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Physiology
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Cite this

Mitchell, B. D., Kammerer, C. M., Blangero, J., Mahaney, M. C., Rainwater, D. L., Dyke, B., ... MacCluer, J. W. (1996). Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: The San Antonio Family Heart Study. Circulation, 94(9), 2159-2170.

Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans : The San Antonio Family Heart Study. / Mitchell, Braxton D.; Kammerer, Candace M.; Blangero, John; Mahaney, Michael C.; Rainwater, David L.; Dyke, Bennett; Hixson, James E.; Henkel, Richard D.; Sharp, R. Mark; Comuzzie, Anthony G.; Vandeberg, John L.; Stern, Michael P.; MacCluer, Jean W.

In: Circulation, Vol. 94, No. 9, 1996, p. 2159-2170.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Mitchell, BD, Kammerer, CM, Blangero, J, Mahaney, MC, Rainwater, DL, Dyke, B, Hixson, JE, Henkel, RD, Sharp, RM, Comuzzie, AG, Vandeberg, JL, Stern, MP & MacCluer, JW 1996, 'Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: The San Antonio Family Heart Study', Circulation, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2159-2170.
Mitchell BD, Kammerer CM, Blangero J, Mahaney MC, Rainwater DL, Dyke B et al. Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: The San Antonio Family Heart Study. Circulation. 1996;94(9):2159-2170.
Mitchell, Braxton D. ; Kammerer, Candace M. ; Blangero, John ; Mahaney, Michael C. ; Rainwater, David L. ; Dyke, Bennett ; Hixson, James E. ; Henkel, Richard D. ; Sharp, R. Mark ; Comuzzie, Anthony G. ; Vandeberg, John L. ; Stern, Michael P. ; MacCluer, Jean W. / Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans : The San Antonio Family Heart Study. In: Circulation. 1996 ; Vol. 94, No. 9. pp. 2159-2170.
@article{3c66b78b6e484bd48dbd3b717a1376e9,
title = "Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans: The San Antonio Family Heart Study",
abstract = "Background: The familial aggregation of coronary heart disease can be in large part accounted for by a clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors. To elucidate the determinants of cardiovascular disease, many epidemiological studies have focused on the behavioral and lifestyle determinants of these risk factors, whereas others have examined whether specific candidate genes influence quantitative variation in these phenotypes. Methods and Results: Among Mexican Americans from San Antonio (Tex), we quantified the relative contributions of both genetic and environmental influences to a large panel of cardiovascular risk factors, including serum levels of lipids, lipoproteins, glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Members of 42 extended families were studied, including 1236 first-, second-, and third-degree relatives of randomly ascertained probands and their spouses. In addition to the phenotypic assessments, information was obtained regarding usual dietary and physical activity patterns, medication use, smoking habits, alcohol consumption, and other lifestyle behaviors and medical factors. Maximum likelihood methods were used to partition the variance of each phenotype into components attributable to the measured covariates, additive genetic effects (heritability), household effects, and an unmeasured environmental residual. For the lipid and lipoprotein phenotypes, age, gender, and other environmental covariates accounted in general for <15{\%} of the total phenotypic variance, whereas genes accounted for 30{\%} to 45{\%} of the phenotypic variation. Similarly, genes accounted for 15{\%} to 30{\%} of the phenotypic variation in measures of glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Conclusions: These results highlight the importance of considering genetic factors in studies of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.",
keywords = "epidemiology, genetics, lifestyle, lipoproteins, risk factors",
author = "Mitchell, {Braxton D.} and Kammerer, {Candace M.} and John Blangero and Mahaney, {Michael C.} and Rainwater, {David L.} and Bennett Dyke and Hixson, {James E.} and Henkel, {Richard D.} and Sharp, {R. Mark} and Comuzzie, {Anthony G.} and Vandeberg, {John L.} and Stern, {Michael P.} and MacCluer, {Jean W.}",
year = "1996",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "94",
pages = "2159--2170",
journal = "Circulation",
issn = "0009-7322",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "9",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Genetic and environmental contributions to cardiovascular risk factors in Mexican Americans

T2 - The San Antonio Family Heart Study

AU - Mitchell, Braxton D.

AU - Kammerer, Candace M.

AU - Blangero, John

AU - Mahaney, Michael C.

AU - Rainwater, David L.

AU - Dyke, Bennett

AU - Hixson, James E.

AU - Henkel, Richard D.

AU - Sharp, R. Mark

AU - Comuzzie, Anthony G.

AU - Vandeberg, John L.

AU - Stern, Michael P.

AU - MacCluer, Jean W.

PY - 1996

Y1 - 1996

N2 - Background: The familial aggregation of coronary heart disease can be in large part accounted for by a clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors. To elucidate the determinants of cardiovascular disease, many epidemiological studies have focused on the behavioral and lifestyle determinants of these risk factors, whereas others have examined whether specific candidate genes influence quantitative variation in these phenotypes. Methods and Results: Among Mexican Americans from San Antonio (Tex), we quantified the relative contributions of both genetic and environmental influences to a large panel of cardiovascular risk factors, including serum levels of lipids, lipoproteins, glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Members of 42 extended families were studied, including 1236 first-, second-, and third-degree relatives of randomly ascertained probands and their spouses. In addition to the phenotypic assessments, information was obtained regarding usual dietary and physical activity patterns, medication use, smoking habits, alcohol consumption, and other lifestyle behaviors and medical factors. Maximum likelihood methods were used to partition the variance of each phenotype into components attributable to the measured covariates, additive genetic effects (heritability), household effects, and an unmeasured environmental residual. For the lipid and lipoprotein phenotypes, age, gender, and other environmental covariates accounted in general for <15% of the total phenotypic variance, whereas genes accounted for 30% to 45% of the phenotypic variation. Similarly, genes accounted for 15% to 30% of the phenotypic variation in measures of glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Conclusions: These results highlight the importance of considering genetic factors in studies of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

AB - Background: The familial aggregation of coronary heart disease can be in large part accounted for by a clustering of cardiovascular disease risk factors. To elucidate the determinants of cardiovascular disease, many epidemiological studies have focused on the behavioral and lifestyle determinants of these risk factors, whereas others have examined whether specific candidate genes influence quantitative variation in these phenotypes. Methods and Results: Among Mexican Americans from San Antonio (Tex), we quantified the relative contributions of both genetic and environmental influences to a large panel of cardiovascular risk factors, including serum levels of lipids, lipoproteins, glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Members of 42 extended families were studied, including 1236 first-, second-, and third-degree relatives of randomly ascertained probands and their spouses. In addition to the phenotypic assessments, information was obtained regarding usual dietary and physical activity patterns, medication use, smoking habits, alcohol consumption, and other lifestyle behaviors and medical factors. Maximum likelihood methods were used to partition the variance of each phenotype into components attributable to the measured covariates, additive genetic effects (heritability), household effects, and an unmeasured environmental residual. For the lipid and lipoprotein phenotypes, age, gender, and other environmental covariates accounted in general for <15% of the total phenotypic variance, whereas genes accounted for 30% to 45% of the phenotypic variation. Similarly, genes accounted for 15% to 30% of the phenotypic variation in measures of glucose, hormones, adiposity, and blood pressure. Conclusions: These results highlight the importance of considering genetic factors in studies of risk factors for cardiovascular disease.

KW - epidemiology

KW - genetics

KW - lifestyle

KW - lipoproteins

KW - risk factors

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=10244263487&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=10244263487&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8901667

AN - SCOPUS:10244263487

VL - 94

SP - 2159

EP - 2170

JO - Circulation

JF - Circulation

SN - 0009-7322

IS - 9

ER -