Early failure of Class II resin composite versus Class II amalgam restorations placed by dental students

J. D. Overton, Diane J. Sullivan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

23 Scopus citations

Abstract

Using the information from remake request slips in a dental school's predoctoral clinic, we examined the short-term survival of Class II resin composite restorations versus Class II dental amalgam restorations. In the student clinic, resin composite is used in approximately 58 percent of Class II restorations placed, and dental amalgam is used in the remaining 42 percent. In the period examined, Class II resin composite restorations were ten times more likely to be replaced at no cost to the patient than Class II dental amalgam restorations. A total of eighty-four resin composite restorations and six amalgam restorations were replaced due to an identified failure.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)338-340
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of dental education
Volume76
Issue number3
StatePublished - Mar 1 2012

Keywords

  • Class II restoration
  • Clinical competence
  • Clinical education
  • Dental amalgam
  • Dental education
  • Dental school clinics
  • Resin composite

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Education
  • Dentistry(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Early failure of Class II resin composite versus Class II amalgam restorations placed by dental students'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this