Association between ACE gene polymorphism and diabetic nephropathy in South Indian patients

Vijay Viswanathan, Yanqing Zhu, Karthik Bala, Stephen Dunn, Chamukuttan Snehalatha, Ambady Ramachandran, Muthu Jayaraman, Kumar Sharma

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

49 Scopus citations

Abstract

Objective. To study the association of ACE gene polymorphism and diabetic nephropathy in South Indian subjects. Setting. Outpatient clinic of a specialized hospital. Patients. The study included 109 South Indian type 2 diabetic patients (72 males and 37 females; age 56.7±9.0 years, mean±SD). The patients were subdivided into two groups: nephropathic (n=86) and normoalbuminuric patients (n=23). Interventions. Genomic DNA was isolated from the peripheral blood leukocytes. To determine the ACE genotype, genomic DNA was amplified by PCR initially using a flanking primer pair and, subsequently when necessary, with a primer pair that recognizes the insertion specific sequence for confirmation of the specificity of the amplification reactions. Main outcome measures. ACE genotype distribution in the two study groups. Results. In the nephropathic patients, ID and DD genotypes were present in 52.3% and 27.9% of the patients, respectively as compared to 34.8% and 21.7% respectively in those with normoalbuminuria. The D allele was present in 80.2% of the nephropathic patients and 56.5% of the normoalbuminuric patients (χ2=4.28, P=0.039; odds ratio 3.12). Therefore, the higher percentage of II genotype in the normoalbuminuric group was 43.5% as compared to the 19.8% in nephropathic patients. Conclusions. This study showed a positive association between the D allele (ID and DD genotype) of the ACE polymorphism and diabetic proteinuria in South Indian type 2 diabetic patients. Our findings are in keeping with several earlier studies showing a strong association of the D allele of the ACE gene with diabetic nephropathy.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)83-87
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of the Pancreas
Volume2
Issue number2
StatePublished - Mar 1 2001
Externally publishedYes

Keywords

  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Diabetic nephropathies
  • India
  • Non-insulin-dependent
  • Peptidyl-dipeptidase A
  • Polymorphism (Genetics)

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Hepatology
  • Endocrinology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Association between ACE gene polymorphism and diabetic nephropathy in South Indian patients'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this