A pharmacogenomic evaluation of migraine therapy

Matthew P. Johnson, Francesca Fernandez, Natalie J. Colson, Lyn R. Griffiths

    Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

    14 Scopus citations

    Abstract

    Migraine is a common idiopathic primary headache disorder with significant mental, physical and social health implications. Accompanying an intense unilateral pulsating head pain other characteristic migraine symptoms include nausea, emesis, phonophobia, photophobia and in - 20 - 30% of migraine cases, neurologic disturbances associated with the aura phase. Although selective serotonin (5-HT) receptor agonists (i.e., 5-HT1B/1D) are successful in alleviating migrainous symptoms in ≤ 70% of known sufferers, for the remaining 30%, additional migraine abortive medications remain unsuccessful, not tested or yet to be identified. Genetic characterization of the migrainous disorder is making steady progress with an increasing number of genomic susceptibility loci now identified on chromosomes 1q, 4q, 5q, 6p, 11q, 14q, 15q, 17p, 18q, 19p and Xq. The 4q, 5q, 17p and 18q loci involve endophenotypic susceptibility regions for various migrainous symptoms. In an effort to develop individualized pharmacotherapeutics, the identification of these migraine endophenotypic loci may well be the catalyst needed to aid in this goal. In this review the authors discuss the present treatment of migraine, known genomic susceptibility regions and results from migraine (genetic) association studies. The authors also discuss pharmacogenomc considerations for more individualized migraine prophylactic treatments.

    Original languageEnglish (US)
    Pages (from-to)1821-1835
    Number of pages15
    JournalExpert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy
    Volume8
    Issue number12
    DOIs
    StatePublished - Aug 1 2007

    Keywords

    • Association
    • Linkage
    • Migraine
    • Migraine trait component
    • Pharmacogenomic

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Pharmacology
    • Pharmacology (medical)

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'A pharmacogenomic evaluation of migraine therapy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this